University of Pécs

Botanical Garden

 

History of the Park

Printer-friendly versionPDF változat

The park used to be the garden of the Jesuit Pius Grammar School. Following the foundation of the Biology Department at the former Teachers’ Training College,  its development into a botanical garden was launched in 1952. The garden is under the professional supervision of the Department of Plant Systematics and Geobotany at the Faculty of Sciences, while its financial management belongs to the central financial body of the university.
The garden was declared a county nature conservation area in 1989.
More than 1200 trees and shrubs, as well as at least 2000 perennials are on display on the 6,85 ha area.